Monday, October 20, 2008

more Hawaii

Our first day in Hawaii was spent in Waikiki. We got up early... 7AM (that's 11 utah time :) and had pancakes at a coffee house just across the street from our hotel. The coconut syrup there was so yummy! Then we headed to the beach. The weather was perfect and it wasn't too crowded. We played in the surf, laid on the beach and read our books. It was fantastic just to chill. After the beach (we didn't stay out too long, I was afraid of getting sunburned!) we walked the main shopping area of Waikiki. There were some super ritzy stores, like Hermes, Prada, Tiffany's, Burberry, Gucci and many more. Becky Bloomwood would have been in Heaven, I on the other hand was just intimidated by them! The next day was the Polynesian Culture Center. This was incredible! The students from BYU Hawaii work there and most of them are either from Hawaii or one of the islands that are represented there. We didn't have time to visit all the different islands but we did see, Tonga (They played the drums and invited people from the audience. It was hilarious.), Tahiti (This is where they dance with their hips really fast. I turned to Jace during the demonstration and said "I'm glad I don't come from any place with culture!" I honestly couldn't dance that way!) and Samoa (They played with fire and climbed coconut trees). It was so much fun!

A coconut tree climber in Samoa. Pretty incredible!

1 comment:

Lost in this Moment said...

Isn't the PCC fun? I honestly think I liked walking around more than the shows, but I loved it all! We did a luau dinner there -- good food. I love that you guys just hung out on the beach... that is the best part of a tropical vacation. Good for you guys! I'm so glad you had a good time! Awesome pictures -- that first one of you and Jace is darling!